SQL Live Monitor File Version 1.30.0.0

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Hi,

This is Excellent work for monitor SQL server instance, thank you for releasing this tool.

I could not able monitor remote database due Error ADDING PERFORMANCE COUNTERS: Category does not exist.

Remote server - OS win 2008 Enterprise edition

Database - SQL 2008 Enterprise edition.

Please suggestion me, how to resolve it.

Thanks

ananda

Coordinator
Feb 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Typically you would see this message if the performance counters have not been registered correctly on the server.  When SQLmonitor fails to find a performance counter, it usually prints the category or object to the error pop-up along with the error message you posted.  You can use this to look in perfmon and see if the counters are there or not.

If you have missing perfmon counters for your instance, you can follow this suport article to rebuild counters in perfmon:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956

Were you doing this on a default instance, or a named instance ??  Also for remote monitoring, you need to ensure that the remote registy service is running, and that any firewall is configured to allow the montoring tool to get this data.  The windows account you are using to also needs to have the rights to add perfmon counters. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Glensmall thanks for your replay , it is working fine and able to monitor remote database after start the Remote Procedure call (RPC) services started..

Page Life expectancy monitor value should > 300 sec , but Live monitor Tools display some different values like ( 0 D 1 H 7 M 23 S), how can understand & read this values?

Thanks

ananda

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:16 AM

Hi,

For the OLTP Transaction database what could be best sample interval for SQL Live Monitor tool?

As below - SQL Live Monitor sample interval for offline investigation in csv file

I am monitoring sample interval 5 seconds, is it sufficient for OLTP database? please suggestion me.

thanks

ananda

Coordinator
Mar 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Edited Mar 4, 2012 at 6:34 PM
ananda1976 wrote:

Glensmall thanks for your replay , it is working fine and able to monitor remote database after start the Remote Procedure call (RPC) services started..

Page Life expectancy monitor value should > 300 sec , but Live monitor Tools display some different values like ( 0 D 1 H 7 M 23 S), how can understand & read this values?

Thanks

ananda

SQL Live Monitor translates the value from perfmon in sections into Days (D) Hours (H) Minues (M) Seconds (S).  Since 300 seconds (the value from perfmon) is 5 minutes, you should expect to see a value that is more than 5 mins.

Coordinator
Mar 4, 2012 at 6:34 PM
ananda1976 wrote:

Hi,

For the OLTP Transaction database what could be best sample interval for SQL Live Monitor tool?

As below - SQL Live Monitor sample interval for offline investigation in csv file

I am monitoring sample interval 5 seconds, is it sufficient for OLTP database? please suggestion me.

thanks

ananda

The sample interval will depend on the granulaity you want from the tool.  1 second would be the same as viewing perfmon in real time, 15 seconds if the default for permon captureing data to a file.  Typically if you are capturing over time, then you are looking for trends in the daya, so 5 secs to 15 secs should be fine.  If however you want to see specific spikes at finer intervals then drop the sample interval down to 1 second.

The tool samples the data every seconds to display on the main form, so there is very little additional overhead in writning it out to aCSV at the same time.