Remote Server - SQL Live Monitor 1.31.4440.19438

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I just stumbled across your application - it's quite nice; I've experimented with it on a local server (within my domain) and expect to use this going forward. I'm having trouble using this on my production server, however. I can connect via SQL (for database activity, etc) and seem to be able to connect to the OS using the Alternate Windows Credentials, but the application throws the error "ERROR ADDING PERFORMANCE COUNTERS: Access is denied". The Remote Registry Service is running.

I can log on to this server via Remote Desktop using the Windows credentials mentioned above and run PM - I can add counters, etc. You mention firewall settings in another thread, is this something I should verify? If so, what needs to be verified.

Thank you again - I appreciate your work very much.

sa

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Added findings:

I configured and opened these Firewall Inbound Rules in the remote server: Performance Logs and Alerts (DCOM-In) and Performance Logs and Alerts (TCP-In), but continue getting the same error as before.

Coordinator
Mar 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Hi,

When you add perfmon counters over an RDP session, you are adding them locally to the server rather than remotley.  Can I ask you to open perfmon on your local machine, and then point perfmon at the remote server to try and add counters in.  This is was SQLMonitor is trying to do, and it seems that this is where you have the permissions issue.

The tool uses WMI, Remote Registry, and RPC to get the information required, and depending on the network set-up you have, some services many be desiabled via GPO or blocked at the firewall level.  Essentially, if you canm use perfmon on your local box, to connect to the remote server, then SQLMonitor should be able to as well. 

Give that a go, and if you still have issues, I would suggest trying a netmon or similar so that you can see the ports and services that the tool is trying to talk over, and you an see if they are being blocked at all. 

Another user stopped and started thier RCP service on the server, which addressed their issue.