Sessions: response (ms)

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Hi Glen.

The "Sessions: response (ms)" is a great indicator, but how do you calculate that :) ?

Theo (NL)

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Hi,

When I run the query to generate the figures for user and system processes, I take a snap of the time before and after the query, and then I diff the 2 to get how long it took me to run that query at that time.  That's the response time that you see in the dialog, so really it;s a representation of the response time for SQL Server, for SQL Monitor as a client, at that point in time.

Jun 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Edited Jun 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM

/selfslap

I misread it for something i'd like to have :)

An average response time for all queries that finished processing by the sql server in the last second or so. For use in the my own performance management system I'm building for all our sql servers at the datacentrers

Ah well....   wishful thinking :)

Thanks for the speedy reply though, and i'm still using your app allmost daily !!

Theo

Coordinator
Jun 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM

You can do that with extended events if you are using 2008+.  Use a ring buffer, grab the start and end time for transactions, and the diff and average those values for a timeframe.  Not sure off the top of my head what the performance would be like doing that, but it’s certainly possible – and much lower overhead with EE than using Trace.